Monday, June 25, 2012

Taken by Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye

So, after much searching online, I could not find a synopsis for this book. Since it's such a large series of books, they have just a synopsis type deals describe the WHOLE series. We didn't want that. So, I'll tell you a little bit about it in my own words. :)

This is the first book in the Left Behind Kids series, there is also an adult version. It tells 4 stories of 4 very different children and how they are all also connected in someway. When disappearances start to happen across the globe, it has been realized that the Rapture has begun. With their family's gone, Judd, Ryan, Vicki, and Lionel must hang onto their faith to get them through the next 7 years, the Tribulation. If not, they could end up in hell, without their family's. Taken brings the 4 children together and kicks off the series on a good note. 

Rate: 3 out of 5 stars

Okay, I can't lie, I really enjoyed this book. It's definitely a great series to have your preteen/young teen children read. I was really interested in seeing how the authors would bring the 4 children together, how they were going to connect, and that was really cool! I give them kudos for that. I read this book mainly because my best friend has the whole series, and I figured I could just steal them all from her to read. :) And yes, I will finish to series, I've grown a connection to the characters. The story is interesting, creative.

What I didn't like was the writing. I felt as if it was very poor. I think that the authors have a great story line here, the book has great potential, but the writing. I just didn't like it. Yes, I realize this not the adult version, so, it has to be possible for younger children to read. I get that. But, even when discussing these books with my English teacher, who has read both the adult and children series, she agreed that both sets of books have very poor writing. Honestly, I think that's what knocked this book down to a three. The idea of the book is wonderful! I just think the writing needs a little bit of work

This book is perfect for maybe children who are part of a family of faith and don't quite understand, or need more explanation. It's very straight forward and could easily lay it out for children. I've started the second book, and it does kind of get more confusing, in that aspect. As I've talk to my best friend, she tells me as the books progress it gets even more confusing, because they bring in so many new characters that it's kinda hard to keep track of different peoples stories. But, as of the first book, I don't see that being a problem. Like I said, I plan on finishing the series, which I believe has 10 books, not positive. 

But, if you're looking for a good book for your children, and you feel comfortable with them reading about religion, the Rapture, and things of that nature, I recommend this book for you for your children. :) I think that if they are in their older teens, I could recommend the adult version more. Although I haven't read it, multiple people told me that I should have read that version instead, which I probably will.  It's a great read, and the story actually seems to move very quickly! 

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment