Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Wringer

I know that Wringer is a middle level book, so it's a bit young to keep my full interest, but I have to admit it was really good when it comes to dealing with peer pressure.

I thought the character was realistic in the way he was swept into the group of boys who are bullies. It's either bully or be bullied. He finds that out the hard way. What I found more interesting is the fact that in the end, he was able to stand up to his friends and for himself.

How often do we know what is right, only to hold back our thoughts from others? How often do we know what is right and just plain refuse because of the repercussions that will arise against us? I think about all the times I could have spoken out in different situations, either to stand up for myself or someone else or even just to have done the right thing, but instead I took the coward's way out.

It's taken me thirty years to learn, and I still find myself, again and again, trying to take the easy way out. It's human nature to do as little damage to self as possible. But I've learned over the years that what we see as the easy way out, never is. It always causes more problems in the long run.

So, girls, take advice from someone who knows from personal experience: It is much better to stand up now. Stand up for what you believe in. Stand up for someone else in trouble. Stand up for what you know is right. Do the right thing no matter how hard it may seem at the moment. You'll become stronger women because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment