Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. Today I have the privilege of having Brea Essex with me. Brea publishes with Astraea Press.
Excuses, excuses, excuses…we all have them. Here are my top ten reasons why I don’t write:
1. The baby is crying/cranky/hungry/wants to be held. I have an almost-five-week old, so of course he needs a lot of attention. Of course, this is a recent excuse. (I hear you on this one, Brea! I can't get anything done when my 12 mo old is awake.)
2. I’m too tired (see #1). The baby keeps me up at night.
3. Too much to do around the house. If I’m not busy with the baby, I’m usually attempting to clean/do dishes/do laundry/cook before he needs me again.
4. I don’t know where I’m going with the story. I’m terrible at outlines, so they’re usually not very detailed. This has tripped me up on numerous occasions.
5. I know what I want to write, but the words aren’t coming. This has been the story of my life lately.
6. I’d rather be reading. I read a lot. Unfortunately, sometimes others’ books take precedence over my own. (I can never find enough time to actually read the books I want to read either! My kindle is filled to the brim with books on my TBR.)
7. My husband will be home soon, so I’ll write then. Sometimes I get so busy during the day, that by the time I can sit down to write, it’s almost time for my husband to get off work. More often than not, I’ll just decide to write after he gets home and can take the baby. It almost never happens, because I want to spend time with him rather than write.
8. It’s too loud in my house. Sometimes if I do actually try to write when my husband is home, I can’t because he has the TV too loud, or he keeps trying to talk to me. I’m easily distracted, and I don’t want to ignore him, so again, writing does not get done.
9. There’s a movie/TV show on that I really want to watch. This is especially the case if there is a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings marathon on (or I start watching my DVDs).
10. I’ll just check Facebook one more time. Yes, I’m guilty of being sucked into the black hole of Facebook. In fact, I’m pretty sure I checked it at least ten times while I was writing this post. Okay, I’m exaggerating. Or maybe not. I lost count. (*raises hand* Guilty as charged here too!)
So, there you have it: my top ten (and I’m sure there are many more) reasons why I don’t get any writing done. If you write, what are your excuses?
Check out Brea's books on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Astraeapress.com. Click on the pictures to go to Amazon.
Check them out for your nook as well. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/foreshadow-brea-essex/1108016476?ean=2940013864382
Thanks for being with us today, Brea.